December 07, 2017
Haven 2018 - the first 12 bands
The first 12 bands to play at HAVEN have been announced. Check them out here.
Canadian indie rock, German industrial punk, Swedish skeleton rock, Californian hip hop, American-Ghanian soul and the world’s oldest orchestra are some of the music genres at the second experimental festival, HAVEN, arranged by Claus Meyer, Mikkel Borg-Bjergsø and Aaron Dessner and Bryce Dessner, on 10 and 11 August 2018.
Last year, HAVEN proved itself a new and different player on the Danish as well as the international festival scene. At the festival site on Refshaleøen, musicians such as Iggy Pop, Bon Iver and Beach House played, 110 different kinds of beer were served and some of the world’s leading chefs were flown in to cook food over bonfires. In a car repair shop converted into a classic wine bar, Icelandic Ragnar Kjartansson was stripping while the New York Times was lining up on the main stage to film a 360-degree video of The National concert that closed the 2-day festival with 20,000 participants. Now, HAVEN is back:
““We used the first year to get to know ourselves, the site and our guests, and it was our clear impression that the visitors went along with the kinky, strange and challenging festival. Now that we know the setting, we wish to take the artistic experiments, constellations and collaboration one step further in order to challenge ourselves and our guests" – Sigurd Hartkorn Plaetner, spokesman, HAVEN:
WATCH HAVEN 2017 RACAP HERE
The 12 first artists at HAVEN 2018 are:
• ARCADE FIRE: Bombastic and uncompromising indie pioneers from Canada that became famous with the album ’Funeral’ at the beginning of the 00s and have since maintained a godlike status among connoisseurs as well as a firm grasp of a wider audience.
• ARIEL PINK: The playful and visual singer songwriter from L.A. is an original and extremely talented multi-artist with a foot in many camps. He was discovered by Animal Collective and many will probably recognise his song ’Baby’.
• BIG THIEF: Vulnerable, melancholic and grandiose indie rock from Brooklyn. Absolute darlings with the critics and rising stars.
• BROCKHAMPTON: The much hyped hip hop team was started in Texas by Kevin Abstract. Branching into every creative art form, it is not quite off the mark to compare them with Odd Future. They are very young and will undoubtedly explode in 2018.
• CANCER: The result of a fusion of two very talented musicians and singers; the frontman of When Saints Go Machine, Nikolaj Vonsild, and Kristian Finne Kristensen from Chorus Grant. This duo has created a dreamy universe in the borders between electronic and acoustic music.
• EINSTÜRZENDE NEUBAUTEN: Pioneering Einstürzende Neubauten has been to noise rock and punk what Kraftwerk has been to electronic music. Ungdomshuset (“the Youth House”) in Copenhagen was almost closed already in 1983 when Einstürzende Neubauten during a concert at the Ungdomshuset started to saw, drill and cut into the supporting columns of the building with big industrial machines.
• KEVIN MORBY: Lo-Fi American singer songwriter, a first-class melody maker and story-teller. After his concert at Roskilde this year, the Danish music magazine Gaffa wrote: “It is easy to see the connection to both Bob Dylan and Lou Reed, but as a songwriter he defeats the traditions with edge and unprecedented vital power.”
• MOSES SUMNEY: There is no doubt that Sumney will become one of the greatest because his talent is obvious. The American-Ghanian new-soul singer, who is known in particular for the song “Plastic”, has a big and long career in front of him.
• THÅSTRÖM: The man who wrote a song about the Danish street, Sønder Boulevard. The most eminent Swedish rock music ever created. A flagship and an institution in skeleton rock/punk. Scandinavia's answer to Nick Cave.
• UNKNOWN MORTAL ORCHESTRA: Melancholy characterises Unknown Mortal Orchestra’s psychedelic Lo-Fi rock universe. This is the band you listen to when the sun is shining, the car’s windscreen is covered by white frost and it is Friday.
• KAMASI WASHINGTON: The man who is in the process of bringing jazz back to the charts. He has hit an indie nerve and has been signed with XL Records which is quite unusual for this genre. A huge talent.
• THE ROYAL DANISH ORCHESTRA x DESSNER: With its 550 years, this is the world's oldest orchestra. We will soon reveal its extremely interesting role at HAVEN 2018.
“We are excited to announce the first acts anchored by our friends Arcade Fire. We will again focus on cross disciplinary collaboration across a diverse mix of artists with plenty of surprises in store. We are also thrilled to be able to feature some of the truly great new artists of our generation along with established legends like Einstürzende Neubauten, and influential jazz musician Kamasi Washington. We'll have much more to announce over the coming months and can't wait to share HAVEN with you again in August.” – Aaron Dessner, partner in HAVEN and guitarist in The National.
Tickets are on sale from today, Thursday 7th December at 8.00 am CET via Billetlugen
JOIN THE HAVEN FESTIVAL 2018 FACEBOOK EVENT TO GET FIRST NOTICE ABOUT BANDS, BEER AND FOOD.
Please not that lineup is subject to change.